Friday, August 26, 2011

Who's in conrtol of Whom?

    It's not enough that one of my most common parenting phrases is "Are you the parent?" but I have to learn this concept for myself.  Lately, I've been reminded of some parenting techniques God tends to use.  Maybe now that I employ parenting techniques, it's easier to spot them in Him?  (or maybe I just attribute everything to what is so consuming of my own mental resources!)  I'm (yes, still) working on Priscilla Shirer's study on Jonah and it is dealing with when God doesn't exactly lie to us... He just doesn't always give us the whole story ahead of time.  (there's much more too it, but I'm drawing a blank and don't have the book with me)  Sometimes in my arrogance I wish for a little more info.  I have often felt a bit betrayed by God when these things happen- when a little more information or a more direct sense of His leading could have steered me down a more effective or productive path, a path that may even have honored Him more... in MY view.
     I am learning, however, that I don't give my boys the whole story.. sometimes out of laziness or selfish reasons, but sometimes because I need them to learn to trust me.. to know that I have their best interests in mind if they would stick with the program.  Sometimes, I want them to wait for me to offer something they really want instead of begging redundantly for it.  And ALL of the time, I don't want them trying to manipulate me to do their will. A lot of the time, I want the good thing to be a surprise! (which begging just spoils)  And yet I am frustrated that my Father wants to give me good things in His time, in His way  which... is never my way or my time line.  I must learn to "wait for it" (Psyc quote, anyone?) with eagerness, not drudgery.  I'm realizing (as my 5 year old teaches me daily) that I too live in drudgery instead of eager expectation for the good and perfect gifts my Father has in store, as well as trials and heartaches that He has purpose for as well... there's a Mary Beth Chapman quote I'd love to put here... will get it when I get home... but its about loving God being pure when we can worship Him equally through the good and bad that He brings.  We know without a doubt we can trust Him.. it just gets a little stickier living like it in the day to day.
   So as I was sitting in ER yesterday morning with a migraine on steroids that got away from me, (stinkin anti-nausea drug has quit working well enough anymore- I used to call that drug blessed) and I realize that I'd been feeling in better control of my migraine disease, err.. that it was better managed... here I am again in ER which has been an expensive and frustrating experience in the past (migraines don't go away for me there), I am reminded that God is allowing this (amongst other things) in my life for a purpose.  I am reminded that I am proud that we've finally gotten things better under control.  Well... not so much. God is in control, not me.  Can I say that 300 times a day until it sinks in?  Can they stick that, just that into a worship song that's so redundant I have to notice and take it in?  
   And, can I let go of my disappointment in my weakness to see His strength and trust that there is a purpose?  Can I wait for Him to suprise me with something I never imagined but am eagerly waiting for Him to reveal.  He is a God of good and perfect gifts.  I can trust Him.  I just need to "wait for it" eagerly. 

1 comment: