Sunday, November 21, 2010

Rich (not Mullins this time) Discontentment

     I was sitting around with some other adults recently (weird for me, I know) and we had just watched Rob Bell's production, "Rich."  Now for those of you who know me.. or the me that was and likely should still be,  I can get pretty "feisty" on this topic.  The film talked about only 8% of the world's population owning cars... all sorts of lovely little facts about poverty and wealth like that- ones the average American has no clue about.   The discussion went from ..wow.. we are really blessed to.. how do you live knowing your really blessed, but having bills you can't pay, stress from businesses and employees, adjusting to living on one income..the kids needing money all the time, etc. 
     As I view America from our lousy Michigan economy- yes, its seems bad. People can't make their house payments, afford insurance, pay for food.  Their unemployment is up soon and their heating bills alone are bigger than their projected income.  But alas, not all have dropped their satellite tv nor tried to sell their SUV's they can't afford- not that anyone wants to buy all their objects of past "unwisdom" that they can't afford anymore.  and so we're back to STUCK.  No one want's to be upside down on a 30K vehicle, give up the family business, or loose their dream house (or any house...).
        So how do we, especially at this time of the year, realize our wealth while being incredibly stressed by our debt for it?!  How difficult to feel in such a bind but know we should be extremely thankful for all the Lord has given us as a nation, in our families...  I know I'm feeling pretty blessed to have a husband who hates debt so we're not so stressed on one income as we otherwise would be.  I can't fathom a $400 car payment.  It blows my mind.  2 car payments of that size would pay off my house with some serious expediency.
   This morning in church, the verse of the cheerful giver came up.  How can a people so stressed with debt and back payments give cheerfully,  hilariously as the lexicon mentions?  I KNOW- well not with debt- but with relative "poverty".  I remember what it was like as a new couple starting out making $7.50 or so an hour having almost no bills other than rent (we didn't even have a phone) and always ending up spending more than we made, but still having $30 or so left in the bank at the end of the month.  We're college grads who can do the math.  It never made sense... but God honored our giving and our frugality. (ok- Charlie's frugality!) (Or maybe He just loved us irrationally!)
      At some point, we started really having fun with giving.  We had a certain percentage set aside for miscellaneous charities of our choice each month.  And it is a game.  Take the tithe out first and let God work out the math for how you'll eat, drink and be clothed.  It's fun and amazing to watch Him work.  We're no lilies of the valley- but we clean up ok.  God has always provided- though it's been a long time since there's been that unaccounted for $30 leftover.  (Maybe it's because the "hilarious"/cheerful giving budget has been reduced... or God expects us to be wise stewards...)
     Of course we're still so rich- and yet I'm always looking out for the next replacement vehicle or some home project that doesn't really need done, and how can I weezle Charlie into agreeing to spend tax return money on it?... or whatever. I still don't define "want" verses "need" well. I'm still never satisfied.  I still want things a little better, a little nicer, a little more reliable- well isn't God reliable!!  and wouldn't it be wonderful to just be content with what I have?  Really, really content... I know we will be truely content and peaceful in heaven.. but isn't there an earthly version... Imperfect Contentment 1.0 or something?
    Maybe contentment lies in practicing thankfulness and praise often.  the less content we are- the more often we should thank God for His gifts- His good and perfect gifts from a Father who knows so much more than we do what gifts are good.
    Maybe discontent is divine as Sixpence alludes to in their album title.  Maybe our lack of contentment keeps us searching for God..keeps us heaven- hungry.
     In the meantime, we'll keep listening to Dave Ramsey's holiday philosophy of "Live like no one else, so you can give like no one else."  It rubs me less wrong than just the concept of building wealth and security that could easily replace my security in God and me building up wealth in heaven that no recession or depression can touch.  I  like being able to hilariously give.
                    But I must live like no one else before it will be possible.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your expression of what I consider to be a very wise spiritual insight--"Maybe contentment lies in practicing thankfulness and praise often. the less content we are- the more often we should thank God for His gifts- His good and perfect gifts from a Father who knows so much more than we do what gifts are good."

    ReplyDelete